About The Friends of the Sisters Library
The Friends of the Sisters Library is a non-profit community organization dedicated to supporting the Sisters Library and is open to all individuals in sympathy with the mission of the Friends.
The Friends support the Children’s and Teen’s Summer Reading programs, the Peg Bermel Scholarship fund for graduating high school students, A Novel Idea, the annual Library Volunteer Dinner, and the annual Sisters Library Art Exhibit. The Friends also help sponsor speakers and special events that are available to the public and presented at the library.
The Friends of the Sisters Library also financially donated to the Sisters Historical Society for the restoration of the Maida Building, which was the original one room Sisters Library.
The following are some of the contributions the Friends have made to enhance the Sisters Library:
- $55,000 to help with the construction of the new library, completed in January 2006
- A mobile laptop computer lab for computer training and available to all groups using the room for meetings and presentations
- A computer projector for the Community Room, also available to all groups using the room for meetings and presentations
- The Fireside Garden, including the benches and stonewalls around the garden and the patio area outside of the ommunity Room
- Various works of art from the Sisters Area art community.
The Friends raise funds to support the library mainly through our used book store “the Friends Book Corner”. However, funds have also been raised through the sale of the Sisters Cookbook, and the Sisters history book “That Was Yesterday.”